- With ever evolving technology therapy by telephone or over the Internet is becoming increasingly popular.
- There are many advantages to online working
- No need to travel, making it useful for people unable to leave the house or those without private transport.
- reduced cost (this is due to the reduction of costs to the therapist not because it is an inferior form of therapy).
- Some people find it easier to open up to other people when not in close proximity.
This effect is known as “disinhibition” and can allow a greater sharing with the therapist more quickly than face to face, but it also has its drawbacks.
- Online therapy is often not recommended for people in crisis.
If you are considering telephone or online therapy we can talk in more detail about all these aspects before you make your decision.
I look forward to hearing from you.